Looking for fun and creative projects to make?
Look no further than this easy flower craft made out of colorful cupcake liners and sticks. This simple and inexpensive project is perfect for adults and even older kids, like teenagers, who are looking for a way to pass the time at home. With just a few supplies and a little bit of imagination, you can create a beautiful bouquet of flowers that can be used as home decor or even as party or holiday decorations.
This easy craft turned out to make something pretty enough to actually use as home decor! I was really impressed at how the combination of sticks and cleverly cut cupcake liners looked on my entry table. To be honest, a lot of crafts end up in the trash eventually, because although they are fun to make, I’m usually not proud enough to display them in the house. This lovely project turned out to be the exception.
Arrange them in a container of your choice, and you’ll have a vibrant and eye-catching accent for any table. 🙂
I love the idea of using these paper flowers as home decor, but they would also make for a lovely homemade party decoration! I can imagine them being used as a centerpiece for a baby shower, bridal shower, birthday party, graduation, or any holiday! Just theme them with the right colors to match the special occasion.
To make these delightful paper flowers, you’ll need a variety of colorful cupcake liners in different colors and patterns. You can easily find these at your local grocery store. You’ll also need to gather some sticks from the yard– a nice opportunity to go for a little nature hunt! I found a few caterpillars on mine. Other supplies you’ll need include a pair of scissors and a hot glue gun to attach the cupcake liners to the sticks. That’s it!
- A variety of colorful cupcake liners
- sticks from your yard
- hot glue gun
Using FOUR cupcake liners at a time, fold and cut them following the pictorial above. You’re basically just folding the liners in half, and then in half again to create a small fan. Then cut patterns on the round edge like you would a paper snowflake! You can do this however you’d like with curvy or straight lines (I did a variety of both).
You’ll also want to cut a small chunk of the pointy end off to create a hole that will make them easy to slide onto your sticks.
Loop the liners onto the end of a stick. One cupcake liner at a time, hot glue the base down onto the top end of the stick, pinching the base together to create what looks like a flower. Repeat for all four cupcake liners, hot gluing them down one after the other fairly close together.
Once all the cupcake liners are attached to the sticks, your bouquet of flowers is complete! Arrange them in a vase or container of your choice, and you’ll have a vibrant and eye-catching centerpiece for any table. Alternatively, you can display them on an entry table, coffee table, kitchen island or fireplace mantel to add a pop of color to your home decor.
- I recommend cutting FOUR cupcake liners at a time because anything more than that is very difficult to cut. I also think four is the minimum you need to create a full, nice-looking flower.
- Get creative and try mixing different colors and patterns of cupcake liners into a single flower.
- I chose sticks from the yard that had several end points, so some of my sticks had 2 or even 3 flowers attached to each one. I think this made for a more realistic looking bouquet! I also think it looks nice to choose sticks in a variety of lengths and different curves.
- You could also add embellishments to the flowers like glitter or ribbon, or even brush on some craft paint to the ends of the flowers for added texture and color.
- After making this project, I was thinking it would have been nice if I had some leafy green colored cupcake liners! You could cut the liners into quarters and pinch them together, and then glue them along the sticks to make something that resembled foliage.
- In addition to home decor, these paper flowers would be beautiful as a party decoration displayed as a centerpiece for just about any occasion. Simply choose colors that are fitting to the holiday or party theme.
Follow me on Pinterest for more easy craft ideas like this!